The Bafang Geared Front Hub 500W motor kit (FMG020) mounts in place of your bike's front wheel and fully replaces your bike's current front wheel! The kit includes the motor, rim (Disc or V-Brake ready), heavy duty 12 gauge black spokes and an ultra-high performance puncture resistant 2.1" MAXXIS Pace Tire (MSRP $60). This is the newest Bafang 500W Front Hub motor with a "rated power" of 500 watts, however a maximum power of more than 864 watts with the included 18 amp controller paired with a 48V battery. Don't be fooled by other sellers who claim to be selling a 750w Bafang Front Hub for $1000+ as Bafang current does not and has never made a 750W Front Hub Motor (despite other sellers misleading descriptions and claims). This is the tried and true most powerful Bafang Front Hub Motor which is the work horse for hundreds of thousands of pre-made ebikes. We sell the most powerful Bafang Front Hub motor (48V and 18amps) at the most affordable price to convert your current bike instead of buying a more expensive, heavy, and less powerful pre-made ebike.
The Bafang 500W Front Hub Kit comes with all of the necessary parts to convert just about any bike (must have an Open-Slotted Front Fork) to an electric bike, except the battery! We also sell the Complete Bafang Front Motor Kit with the battery, so you have everything you need to transform your bike into a high-powered electric bike! The Bafang Front Hub Motor Kit is a high-performing, lightweight, quiet, fast, well-engineered hill-climbing machine. The Front Hub Motor kit is one of the quickest and easiest ebike conversions possible as the wheel motor comes pre-built and ready to ride! The motor includes 2 types of Pedal Assist Sensors (PAS) options for your installation convenience. The Pedal Assist Sensors allow you to choose the power level of the motor assistance that you would like while pedaling. Also, you can always use the throttle in order to engage the motor if you want to take a break from pedaling! Please note, the throttle is limited to the Pedal Assist Level you are in. These Front Hub Motors are designed to be able to go 20+ MPH!
*** Please note, we cannot guarantee compatibility of our motors with other sellers' batteries. If you attempt to pair this motor with an incompatible battery, you could blown the controller and other parts and/or experience communication errors.
Parts Included in Bafang 48V 500w Front Hub Motor Kit
- Newest Bafang 500W Front Hub Motor (Max Power of more than 864 Watts!)
- Integrated 48V 18amp Controller
- Upgraded 12 Gauge Black Spokes
- Industry Leading MAXXIS Pace Tire with puncture protection!
- LCD Display (C961 Display, 500c Display, or DPC-18 Full Color Display)
- Ebrake Handle Levers or Ebrake Sensors (connects to your existing brakes)
- Two different types of Pedal Assist (PAS) Sensor included with each kit (for your convenience and easy installation so you can choose which would be best for your specific bike!)
- Main Wiring Harness (wiring that connects all the kit components)
- Up to 860 watts of power with 48V battery
- Throttle and pedal assist modes
- Lightweight and powerful! (Motor weighs 11.5 pounds and whole kit with all parts will add ~12.5 pounds to your bike.)
- LCD Display provides information about speed, time, battery info and pedal assist power
- Plug and play connections and installation (upgraded Anderson battery connections)
- Powerful and affordable mid-drive conversion ebike kit that can convert most bikes to high power ebikes
- Upgraded 45 amp Anderson Battery Connections
Will the Bafang Front Hub Motor Kit work with my bike?
These kits will only work on bikes with open slotted front forks as described on our "Will the Bafang Front Hub motor fit on your bike" article.
The Bafang Front Hub motor conversion kit installation is a DIY project that requires no specialty expertise – simply install the parts, plug in the connectors and zip-tie the cables! It is as simple as that! If you are not interested in performing the install yourself, simply stop by your local bike shop, and they should easily be able to install the Front Hub Motor kit for you.
All the tools that you will need for the install are typically found in most bike tool kits. The only tools that you will need for the install are:
1. A 19mm Wrench or Adjustable Wrench for Front Wheel Axle
2. Set of Allen Wrenches to install the Display, Throttle, and Ebrakes
3. Tool to remove existing bolts on your downtube and secure Battery Mount with preexisting bolts.
1. Remove your bike's current front wheel.
2. Install your new Front Hub Motor Wheel (make sure all axle hardware is properly installed)
3. Remove Handlebar Grips to install Display, Left Thumb Throttle, and Ebrakes.
4. Install Display, Left Thumb Throttle, and Ebrakes on your handlebars (using Allen Wrenches).
5. Install PAS Sensor on your bike frame
6. Secure Controller on your bike
7. Use the Controller Cable that connects the Motor to the Controller (matching the plugs with the pins properly aligned).
Please refer to our Installation Page for our Step-by-Step Installation Instructions & Bafang LCD Display manuals.
Customer Care Note: We always recommend storing ebikes indoors or under cover as electronic components are susceptible to water damage. All of the kit parts are water resistant, but components such as the display are not waterproof.